Friday, August 8, 2008

Yea! I’m a Business

I hope that I’ve not boring you with too many details about my past experience. This blog is after all about my trying to find a job! So what type of clients did you think I would go after when I started my business? Yes, correct investment companies. What can I say, I like the industry and they felt comfortable dealing with someone who understood their business. I was now educating people about the internet.

Here are some of the personal milestones that I accomplished while running this business:

Created the first site in Canada that allowed investors to access their accounts and place orders through the internet. This was done before E-Trade Canada opened up its doors here. Now almost every investment company and mutual fund dealer does this. I did it first!

Designed a new back office system based on internet technologies for a brokerage company.

Conducted the first internet broadcast of an Annual General Meeting in Canada. This is now common place for public companies.

Over the course of my business I designed and managed the development of dozens of companies, mutual funds; publically traded entities; mutual fund dealers; brokerage firms. I got some decent press too, understanding that it would lead to more business.

Being a one person operation was challenging, but I quickly learned to delegate and hire contract workers to complete specific aspects of my projects. However business was to come to a screeching halt.

The majority of my business came from interfacing Mutual Fund Dealers back office to allow for client access/trading. There were three companies in Canada that sold held the mutual fund back office market. I developed interfaces for all three by reverse engineering the databases. After a while the software companies took notice and decided to make their own interface. Needless to say this put a serious dent in my income!

D

No comments: