Thursday, August 14, 2008

Money vs. Cool

I got an email from a recruiter that I’ve been casually working with for job hunting. There’s a decent position in the east end of Toronto, but I’m wondering if it would be worth my while. Most of this mental discussion will be moot, if I don’t get an interview, but still it’s a worthwhile exercise.

The job is good, not bouncing of the wall exciting, but something that I would enjoy in the investment industry. The pay is a bit on my low end, but more than acceptable. The thing is that I keep on comparing it to this Entrepreneurial job.

The Entrepreneurial Job pay is nowhere near what I should be earning, but it offers some unique benefits. First off it allows be to work with other entrepreneurs, something that I enjoy. I can make use of the marketing strategies that I’ve learned in the past few years to bring attention to new businesses. I can pass on the knowledge that I’ve gained on the IT side and business side to others for their own benefit. Overall, it is a position that really excites me and would be really fun to do. But the pay...it’s more than I’m earning now, so I know I’ll be keeping my head above water. On the financial plus side for the Entrepreneurial job, they are willing to talk profit sharing.

The East End job pays about 100% more than the Entrepreneurial job. There is also the potential for an annual bonus for East End around 10%. I have no idea of what the profit sharing arrangements could be, but there is big upside potential for the Entrepreneurial work (and so long as the profit sharing arrangement is defined and favourable.)

It’s difficult to make a decision. I’m favouring the Entrepreneurial position only because I’ve had an interview with them and the position sounds really great. If I get an interview with the other company I can be more objective.

No comments: