Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Will it sink or will it float?

So I had this flash of an idea (not one of those ideas that I can sometimes track back the thought process) about my quest for a job.

I’ve been somewhat specific with the jobs that I’ve been applying to. I know there are other jobs that I’m qualified for and would be hired, but I’m through with being an employee in a job that I’m not excited about! There are other jobs out there that I’m sure would be a good fit for me, but I think I need a fresh pair of eyes to help me see them.

So here’s the idea. I’ve heard of people taking out a billboard ad, newspaper ads, standing outside with a sandwich board handing out 479 resumes. I’m placing my own ad, but not just anywhere! There is a PR Master by the name of Peter Shankman with an email list - HARO, Help A Reporter Out. Basically Reporters use Peter’s list to find people to interview about specific topics. I highly recommend his service - http://www.helpareporter.com/

Recently he’s started to accept advertisements (see what I’m getting at) so I’ve asked him to post an ad stating that I’m looking for work. I’ve given him free range to create the spot for me, so I’ll see what happens. The posting is going out tomorrow and while I don’t expect a torrent of job offers, I’m hoping that it will give me a boost and open up some doors that I haven’t seen yet.

So according to Google Maps I went 37.6km, not too bad for a 90 minute ride, 25km/h (a wee bit under 17 miles/h). Will do a run tomorrow.

No comments: