Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Search for Work

So why am I searching for a "job"? I’ve got my tea company on hold until I find a new supplier. It took me many months to find a supplier that met my needs. It’s difficult to find a replacement.

Don’t get me wrong, I like being an entrepreneur, but I also know when I need to make money. Right now the tea company is not the place for money making. When I do find a new job, rest assured employer, you will have a dedicated employee on your hands! As I mentioned in a previous post, the only thing that could pull me away from a full-time job, would be a call from Oprah’s people to me on the show (and I don’t think that’ll be happening any time soon!)

My search for work is not just for finding a job job. That I already have. What? You though I wasn’t working? Feh! I like working and making money, I’ve got responsibilities that take money to pay for! The job that I have is doing computer work at a local business. The work is easy and quite boring since there is not much of a challenge to the position. It also only pays $15/hr. You’ve got to be creative to support a family with that income. But I am thankful for the work as I know that there are others that don’t have any.

Each day I spend about an hour look for work surfing various websites. I got my routine down in this department. So far in the five months that I’ve been looking I’ve only applied to about a dozen positions. Some people do a blitz, applying to almost everything for which they are technically qualified. Not me.

I want a job that I’m going to enjoy, something that in my opinion is fun and cool. Some of the positions that I’ve applied for are:

  • PM with a foreign exchange company for developing new e-commerce applications (was one of two final interviewees, didn’t get the position, too bad, the work sounded great);
  • Sr PM in for a health care company for e-learning. Told the company after the first interview that I wasn’t interested as because I didn’t feel I could passionate about the work (even though they liked me and my experience);
  • PM for a start-up company that would be helping entrepreneurs getting their business to the next level (just had the interview yesterday)

The nice thing about the start-up role is that I can do more marketing. My marketing skills are still developing, but they show promise. With the tea company I had dozens and dozens of articles, blog posts, magazines, newspapers articles written. I was responsible for finding the companies, pitching them, everything! I even got a few minutes on a national TV program. Not too shabby eh?

Still looking for the company that needs my skills that has the fun, cool, je ne sais quoi (but I don’t know what it is) elements I’m looking for.

No comments: