Saturday, August 9, 2008

Internet Development to Internet Security

My business model was about to change.

When I started to develop these back office interfaces, I was opening up pipelines leading to the internet from "secure" areas. These databases that were feeding the websites needed to be secure. As a complimentary service to these clients I started to do some free, but detailed internet security audits.

One client was so pleased at the service that I was recommended to another company and another and so on. This was still a small part of my business but it was growing.

As the back office software companies started taking back their business (and locking me out by making the mutual fund dealers sign contracts that "outside" access of the databases would be in violation of their agreements), I needed to find other sources of income. It seems like I was getting into internet security whether I liked it or not. Fortunately I liked it.

Internet security audits were happening on a more regular bases, but they didn’t provided me with a predictable income. One thing that I learned as a stock broker is that mutual funds are a great investment for both the client and the broker. As a broker, I would get anywhere between 0.10% and 1% of the investment (called a trailer fee) each year. I wanted to same thing for internet security.

I developed a subscription based web site security service. Clients would "register" any software product and they would be immediately notified when there were any security compromises. They would be provided with patches or work-around. Alerts would be sent out via email or SMS. It was a really cool service, but it was not drawing the attention that it needed or deserved. I think it was a bit too ahead of its time.

I took too much time on the subscription project and ignored the larger security audits. I eventually got to a point where I could go forward with internet security, but it would require an upgrade in my education (obtaining official credentials and certificates). As a comparative alternative I also started looking for "regular" work.

No comments: