Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Not One But Two Cool And Almost Exactly The Same Positions

So I had an interview with a company on Monday that is starting up a website for entrepreneurs. The idea is that they will help them with a one year plan to take the business to the "next level". The interview was great and the business owner and I had a good conversation.

It would require commuting to Toronto, but I’ve done it before.

So just this morning I did my regular job search and what do I find? Another company in Toronto who is hiring for almost the same position with the same business model in mind! How every unusual. I’ll send off an inquiry, sounds good.

On the other sites (monster.com; procom.ca; wowjobs.ca) there’s just the usual suspects of PM roles, noting that really sparks my interest. I may have to lower my expectations of the "awesome, cool, fun" job to a more realistic, "job job", but not just yet. I’ve got one decent idea to get some job leads, but it won’t happen for about a week.

The more that I think about the website for entrepreneurs, the more I like the idea. When I was "younger" I had many business outlines written down. I had one for a mail order business (before the internet was even close to main stream) for selling fossils; another one marketing this speaker device that swore (there was a "G" version too). Somewhere in the basement are a few small binders full of these plans. I remember seeing it a few months ago while tiding up.

I’ll have to look at them again to see how many of those ideas are now other people’s business!

No comments: